Updated: 6 days ago
This easy to make traditional Spanish cold soup packs a lot of flavor and requires no cooking at all!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Resting time: 2 to 4 hours
Serves 4 to 6 people
Vegan & Vegetarian
Made out of fresh ingredients, Gazpacho is a simple yet delicious Spanish staple food. Raw tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil, vinegar, and thyme are blended together to create this refreshing cold soup. It is 100% vegan, gluten free, lactose free, soy free, low-carb, low fat, and cholesterol free ... the perfect meal!
“Gazpacho Andaluz”, as it is known in Spain, is the perfect meal during hot summer days. Loaded with fiber, vitamins A, C, B-6, E; calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants.
What is Gazpacho?
Gazpacho or Andalusian gazpacho, is a cold soup made of raw, blended vegetables. It originated in the southern regions of the Iberian peninsula, specifically Andalusia, and spread into the Algarve regions. Gazpacho is widely eaten in Spain and Portugal, particularly during hot summers, as it is refreshing and cool.
While there are other recipes called gazpacho, such as gazpacho manchego, the standard usage implies Andalusian gazpacho. There are also a number of dishes that are closely related to Andalusian gazpacho and often considered variants thereof, such as ajoblanco, salmorejo, pipirrana, porra antequerana (closer to a bread soup), and cojondongo.
What is the flavor profile?
Fresh with herbal and garlic notes.
What ingredients will I need to make this?
Tomatoes, a red onion, a red bell pepper, fresh garlic, olive oil, a cucumber, lime juice, gluten free bread, Sherry or vinegar, salt & pepper, cumin, and water.
What else will I need to make this?
A cutting board, a knife, a vegetable peeler, measuring cups and spoons, and a blender.
Can I make additions or substitutions?
I do not recommend changing the recipe. The outcome will be different.
How is Gazpacho served?
It is served cold.
Is Gazpacho beneficial to my health?
1. Gazpacho prevents colds. Gazpacho contains Vitamins A, E and C, mainly in pepper and tomato, which protect our body from this common viral infection in winter.
2. Gazpacho prevents hypertension. If hypertension is not treated early, it can cause heart attacks, ictus and kidney failure. Gazpacho has a certain vasodilator effect which helps control blood pressure.
3. Gazpacho slows the aging process. Antioxidant properties of gazpacho, such as lycopene of tomato and Vitamin C, reduce the action of free radicals. Gazpacho is the tastiest formula against wrinkles and skin spots produced by aging.
4. Gazpacho increases organism defenses. Garlic is one of the gazpacho ingredients, and acts as a natural antibiotic that helps increase the body defenses against bacteria and viruses. 5. Gazpacho helps you loose weight. It is a low-calorie nutritious dish that satisfies hunger and is rich in fiber, which facilitates intestinal transit and elimination of toxins.
6. Gazpacho hydrates your body. Andalusian gazpacho is an isotonic drink with a great content in mineral salts and water. Stay hydrated to relieve fatigue, help digestion and improve performance of your body.
It seems gazpacho has many wonderful and beneficial properties. If you have never tried it, this is your chance to do so!
8 Roma tomatoes
1 large cucumber
1 red bell pepper
1 medium red onion
4 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons of Sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 lime (juice of)
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 cup of water
3 or 4 slices of any gluten free bread of your choice
Wash all vegetables well. This is a raw cold soup. Make sure all vegetables are properly washed to avoid bacterial infections.
Halve the tomatoes; peel and chop the cucumber; peel and quarter the onion; peel the garlic; cut the bell pepper in have and remove the central core with the seeds.
In a blender or food processor, add the water, bread, cumin, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, and garlic. Blitz until smooth ( about 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes).
Transfer into a container with a lid. Add the vinegar, lime juice, and salt & pepper to taste.
Seal the container and refrigerate for at least 2 to 4 hours.
Serve cold. Top with toasted bread and olive oil.
Printable PDF recipe below: